About Chef Esther
Esther Cheng was born into a family of restauranteurs and pastry lovers, so it was no surprise when she decided to develop her inherited passion and talents by starting off as a full time trainee pastry cook at the Westin Stamford (currently known as Swissôtel The Stamford) in April 1995.
With the Westin Stamford being one of the top luxury hotels around, Esther was given an experience like no other in renowned restaurants such as Compass Rose, Prego, Stamford Café, Plaza Café etc. She was exposed to a myriad of culinary and specifically pastry forms, with an added advantage by also working for the Westin Stamford’s sister hotel, Raffles the Plaza (now Fairmont Singapore).
Other specified training given to her includes the ice cream and chocolate departments, and showpiece making. In April 2000, Esther took part in the FHA International Salon Culinaire competition (desserts) and was awarded a bronze medal. She was also selected to take part in the individual competition.
After 5 years of service at Westin with the role of a Commis II, Esther was offered a job as a demi-chef at the Raffles Town Club. There, she was given the chance to be in charge of the dining room’s pastry section. Esther’s relentless pursuit of learning saw her being enrolled into the prestigious Ecole Gastronomique Bellouet Conseil, where she underwent an intensive course with highly-lauded chefs for a week.
Esther’s strong development in her early stages of being a pastry chef has opened many career doors. She rose through the ranks and files being Chef de Partie of prominent establishments such as Four Seasons Hotel Singapore, The Equinox Complex, Assistant Pastry Chef at Hotel Intercontinental, and Pastry Chef at 1827 Thai Restaurant, River Café. Unlike many of her peers who have left the Pastry world after more than a decade and a half, Esther relentless pursuit in her passion in pastry making has led her to be the head of the pastry kitchen at Privé’s multi-concept venue at Marina at Keppel Bay and susbequently, Argentum Group’s Executive Pastry Chef.
Despite her gentle and amiable demeanor Esther has been an enduring fighter in pursuing what she believes in. She chanced upon a local gelato startup (Milk & Honey Gelato) which she is so fond of that she forsook the comfort of a senior pastry management role to be its Owner and Chief Pastry Chef. The same firm and skillful hands that have been designing and crafting delectable pastries, Esther is in full swing of reshaping the enterprise into a more phenomenal success than what it has been.
Detailed list of her achievements:
- June 2012- July 2014, Argentum Group, Executive Pastry Chef
- December 2007- May 2012, Privé Group, Group Pastry Chef
- September 2007- December 2007, Cicada Venture Pastry Chef
- December 2006- September 2007, Superfamous Lifestyle, Pastry Chef
- June 2006- December 2006, Hotel Intercontinental, Assistant Pastry Chef
- April 2005- June 2006, River Café, Butlers and Banquet, Pastry Chef
- March 2004- March 2005, The Old Parliament House, 1827 Thai Restaurant and The Stage Door Café
- January 2003- February 2004, The Equinox Complex, RC Hotel Pte Ltd, Chef de Partie
- June 2002- December 2002, Four Seasons Hotel Singapore, Chef de Partie
- September 2000- June 2002, Raffles Town Club, Demi Chef (The Dining Room)
- April 1995- September 2000, The Westin Stamford and Westin Plaza Hotel Singapore, Commis 2
- Chocolate and Pastry Hands-On Seminar, Felchlin, Switzerland March 2014
- Elle & Ville Training at Macaron Pastry Training Centre, Bangkok, Thailand March 2012
- Chocolate Training at Ecole Valrhona Tokyo, Japan July 2009
- Praline and Truffle, Plated Desserts and Cake, Felchlin (Switzerland), Singapore August 2002
- Easter Special Chocolate Moulding, Ecole Gastronomique Bellouet Conseil, Paris France, January 2001
- Au Royaume du Chocolat, Lyon France, January 2001
- Rhythms of Hospitality, Service Westin Style, 1998
- Culinary Training Program, Westin Hotel Singapore, 1997
- Food and Hygiene Course, MOE Singapore, May 1995
- At-Sunrice Global Chef Academy, Mentor Chef of The Year 2014
- At-Sunrice Global Chef Academy, Mentor Chef of The Year 2012
- Bronze in Dessert Platted, 12th FHA International 2000
- Assistant to Singapore Pastry World Cup’s Team, Lyon France 2001
- Taken part in all functions for the Chaine Des Rotisseurs
- Assistant to Black Box Singapore Team 2000
- Assisted promotion chefs from round the world while working in Westin Hotel